Tuesday, May 1, 2012

April's Spotlight Pup: The Shady Lady

This month's Spotlight pup is my very own Shady.  I came to know Shady as a puppy.  She was feisty from the start, quite the bully of her litter.  I knew from the beginning she was going to be a handful.  
    Shady was a shared pup, spending half the time in my home and half the time in another.  I was aghast to find out while not in my home, she was being used as a fighting dog.  Once I discovered this she was immediately removed from this household, never to return there again.  However, the initial behavior damage had been done.  It took a few years to get her back to neutral completely.  She was quite aggressive towards other dogs, off leash and on.  Shady also did not trust humans now.  In her mind, humans had failed her, and she needed to protect herself and could no longer depend on her pack.  It took equal time to develop the pack hierarchy with her again.  She was 2 years when she fully came to me and we began her rehabilitation.  She is now 13 years old, suffering from degenerative spinal myelopathy. She has come so far from where she was.  She is calm and stable around other dogs, allows and enjoys attention from people, and has accepted new members into her pack as brothers. She is a great ambassador for the American Pit Bull Terrier, and I am extremely proud of her.  






No comments:

Post a Comment